Wednesday, September 10, 2008

on donuts

My friend asked me a question a month ago, and I'm still thinking about my response, so I thought I'd post it.

She's from Germany, and we were eating at Dunkin' Donuts (dollar= two donuts after 2pm) and she asked me what the big attraction was of Dunkin' Donuts for Americans. Since, you know, they're not very good.

I thought for a long time, then said, "I think it's that they're good enough to fend off the despair for a little bit, but not good enough to make you believe that things can be better."

I stand by my response.

2 comments:

Bushel Basket said...

Kind of like, donuts have holes in the middle, which is symbolic of our emptiness, so that by eating that which surrounds that hole, we make ourselves slightly more complete?

David Reese said...

Heh. Well said.

But I think it's more about the state of American capitalism... might just be me, though.