Thursday, January 08, 2009

eschatology and gaza

I've been writing the eschatology section of my constructive theology. It is a hard and appropriate time to do it, focused as I am on Israel's ground invasion of Gaza. (A friend of mine works for maannews.net/en, if anyone wants to read about it from a Palestinian source.)

It's pretty weighty to try to write about the coming new creation when there's so much of the violent, senseless one going around today. Here's a quote from an old friend I keep coming back to:

"Give me a hundred preachers... who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I will shake the gates of hell and set up the Kingdom of God on this earth."
- John Wesley

Well?


[Thanks to Noah and Emily for the address correction. The above link should work now.]

4 comments:

cbroadwe said...

Whenever I hear the word eschatology, I still always think of scatology (you know, the study of shit). Maybe because in my medieval lit classes, the things we were discussing were often both eschatological and scatological. Perhaps not the comment you were looking for, but there you go.

David Reese said...

I'm right there with you, and I imagine they're related, especially after my queer theory class.

Just the other day we were talking about this, and it led us to envision a version of the Aristocrats joke that is in no way fit for public consumption....

noah said...

www.maannews.net/en/

corrected link.

Love you!

-Emily and Noah

cbroadwe said...

Is any version of the Aristocrats really fit for public consumption? I mean, if it's told properly.