Friday, July 28, 2006

defining

I was watching the Daily Show with my mom a couple days ago. And there was this ad for a 9/11 movie. The tagline was "Every generation has a defining moment. This was ours."

Now, clearly, since I was watching the daily show, the narrator meant our generation. (I might have assumed something different if I was watching the Price is Right, or Pro Golf.) This leads to my point:

I don't want September 11 to be the defining moment of our generation.

Can we get a better one?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poem by Mary LaValette

I would like you to know
That we were not all like that
That some of us spent our lives
Working for peace,
Speaking for animals,
Tending the earth.
And when you find
The mass graves
And the abattoirs
And the laboratories
Please understand
That we were not all like that.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that the inscrutable universe turns on an axis of suffering; surely the strange beauty of the universe must somewhere rest on pure joy!

Louise Bogan

Anonymous said...

“It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from the government.”

Thomas Paine “The Rights of Man” circa 1792

I noted, interestingly, that Susan flies to Oklahoma to see our beautiful granddaughter Julia on September 11, which has been named Patriot Day. She returns on the 19th, the International Day of Peace!

I wonder of some of us could re-name the 11th True Patriot Day or otherwise reclaim it.