Wednesday, August 16, 2006

hospitality

So, it turns out I won't be living at the Catholic Worker House in Chicago. They let me know yesterday that they will not, in fact, have room for me. This is a bummer, as they were pretty sure that I would be able to live there, and have told me so since the beginning of July.

A couple days ago I read a book called "what to expect in seminary: theological education and spiritual formation", by virginia cetuk. One of the author's most cogent points, in my mind, was her encouragement of an attitude of hospitality. She proposed that seminarians would do well to confront unexpected hurdles, unfamiliar customs, and new ideas with an attitude of hospitality, rather than one of anger or fear.
I thought it was a good idea. Now I am challenged by it. The turn-around from "that's a good idea" to "this idea is a pain in the ass" was remarkably quick this time. I'm struggling to find a way to be hospitable to this change. Maybe it means that God wants me to live somewhere else, and I am scouring Craig's List for signs of providence. I'm sure I'll live someplace, and it might even be someplace cool, and there are certainly advantages to not living at Su Casa. Namely, I'll be able to be a little more flexible with my time, etc. Still, it's a bummer. I'm just trying to be hospitable towards it.

david

1 comment:

Beth said...

I really wish Su Casa had come through. Anne Lamott would say that God's trying to distract you so that something cool can happen. That's not so helpful until the cool thing happens, however, so blessings in the process and let us know if we can be of any help.

p.s. - would any of AG Miller's connections have some leads?